28 Nov Caring for Your Sleepers
Our concrete sleepers are an extremely strong and robust building product that will last for many years. To meet the Australian Standard of AS3600/2018 we have to manufacture the sleeper so that it can achieve a 50-year product lifespan.
There are a few basic care principles that everybody needs to adhere to, to ensure that the sleepers look their best and perform to their capabilities.
- DO follow the installation guides in our Product Guide on how to build your retaining wall
- DO use plastic (Foticon) behind the sleepers before backfilling the wall;
If plastic is not used, then Efflorescence may occur if excess water gets behind the sleepers.
- DO use an Agi drain at the base of the wall to allow drainage
- DO NOT scrub the face of the sleepers to remove dirt or stains;
Use a light garden hose to soften the dirt or stain and remove by hand (if possible).
- DO NOT use a pressure hose to clean the sleepers;
Pressure hoses can open up the capillaries in the concrete which can lead to Efflorescence occurring in the sleepers
- DO NOT use any chemical solutions to clean the sleepers (other than Efflorescence Remover)